Thursday 23 May 2024

Say what now...?

If my levels of bamboozlement were sky high with the mysteries of dressmaking, they're positively stratospheric with researching a replacement laptop.

My basic needs are relatively simple.  A decent processor, loads of RAM and a large amount of storage.

Then there's the things I'd like but aren't absolutely essential.  For example a keyboard with a separate numeric keypad.  A non-glare screen.  Touch-typist friendly keys.

Then there's things I'd like which have been rendered obsolete by the passage of time since I bought my current, ailing laptop.

A CD/DVD drive.  Apparently they've long gone the way of the floppy disk.  A memory card reader.  Surely these aren't completely passé too?  I can compensate for the lack of both of these by adding peripherals, but they used to be standard.

Then there's the thorny issue of a new operating system.  I so dislike app based systems and much prefer a classic look.  I can fix that too but sheesh.

Finally, there's the fact that many of my most loved programs probably won't work on a newer machine, being obsolete themselves.  Not really any workarounds for those... it's like saying goodbye to old friends.

In the interregnum between the young pretender taking over fully, and the old master being laid to rest, the two will have to form an uneasy alliance while I painstakingly transfer files, set up new accounts etc.  Having gone through this process before I know just how fraught and frustrating it can be.  And don't even get me started on the printer, which is a belligerent old bugger, and despite it's apparent loathing for the old laptop, I know it will fight tooth and inkjet cartridge to avoid transferring its allegiance to the new. 

Buckle up buttercups, it's going to be a bumpy ride...

2 comments:

Daydreamer said...

Dear Sandra, I feel your pain! I have been hanging on to my older laptop (ten yrs. old now!) because it is just my style and holds all my photo files. Nothing fancy, nothing app-ish about it! And I like it that way. They are threatening to "not support" system 10 any more..... and I just don't like the touch screen mode of doing everything (the things never read my fingers right and "stuff happens" that is a mystery to me! Yes, I'm an "Old fogey" "dinosaur" according to my sons... but still! Can't we just have equipment that lasts a long time any more??? Yeah.... I sympathize with your dilemma...

Sandra Morris said...

Betsy, I think they change stuff just for the hell of it, not because there's anything wrong with existing systems. I'm a great proponent of 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' but that obviously doesn't apply when it comes to technology. Some 'improvements' blatantly aren't!
Anyway, I've bitten the bullet and now have a shiny new laptop which is intimidating me to the extreme! Sx