Thursday 7 April 2022

Project planning - Part 2

A few weeks ago we had a spell of lovely warm, springlike weather, which enabled me to make a start on jet-washing the patio in preparation for my patio project.  

Jet washing is one of those jobs which is fun for the first 30 minutes but rapidly becomes a chore.  It's wet, dirty, messy work. 

The main patio area is paved with flagstones, which over the winter rarely get direct sunlight, and as a result they become black with mould/algae and dirt.  The area is bigger than it looks and I had to spread the cleaning over 5 days, tackling it in 30 minute stints.  It doesn't help that the water run-off goes into a gully round the edge, which should soak away, but takes hours and hours to do so.  As a result, once the gully is full I have to stop anyway.

The only edifying thing is that you can definitely see where you've been...


I did however have some welcome company in the shape of the little robin who frequents our garden and is becoming incredibly tame due to being fed delicious tidbits every day.  Here he is having his picnic mere feet away from me on the wrapped-up gazebo.


Inevitably though, the weather turned and winter has returned with a vengeance.  We had rain, hail and snow all in one day last week, so the remaining areas of paving and the steps have been put on hold.

I do however have lots of things to make for the intended makeover so I've been preparing fabrics for the cushions and drapes.  I'm undecided about whether to make any bunting from the leftover cushion fabrics.... my outdoor bunting last year ended up shredded by wind and rain and I don't want to subject my lovely new fabrics to the elements.  However, as the new gazebo will be covered, I suppose I could make a string of bunting for the most protected area at the back.

Today I'm clearing off the table in my workroom in order to set up my sewing machine and get started, so work should start later today.

I'm also making the decor, including a small water feature and a rather special lampshade.

The theme last year was Mediterranean.... think lemons and olives for a gin-inspired setting.  This year I'm going for a more exotic Moroccan/Bohemian vibe, with layers of jewel coloured throws and cushions.

Here are a few images from my inspiration mood board.....





The gazebo is just 2.4 metres square so there's not a lot of space to play with, but I have loads of ideas for how to achieve a really lush, exotic, opulent look.

Let's just hope I can successfully pull it off......





No comments: