So, just as it was looking as though things were finally returning to some semblance of order, life throws another spanner in the works.
Last week our dishwasher died. I do accept, that in the grand scheme of things this is neither here nor there but it's dashed inconvenient, especially at this time of year.
It not only died, it attempted self immolation, melting a heatproof cutting board in the process. Thankfully we detected and tracked down the strong smell of burning and melting plastic before the whole thing burst into flames and burnt us alive in our beds but it was a chastening experience.
Since then we have been dishwasher-less, and while the manual washing of dishes is almost fun in the caravan, it's somewhat less inspiring on a relentless daily basis.
We did try to get it repaired, but apparently, according to our long-standing, trustworthy domestic appliance repair chap, the cost of the replacement parts, plus labour, took it into the realms of an uneconomic repair.
Just before Christmas too.
Undaunted, we emptied our piggy banks, raided Small Dog's holiday fund, checked trouser pockets, rummaged down the back of the sofa and gathered together enough small change to enable us to order a replacement, which arrived this morning.
So far so good.
But before installing it in its space, we noticed that an area of floor tiling was lifting slightly so PP found the adhesive and lifted the tile..... to reveal an area of very damp wood underneath.
We had the floor tiles laid when we replaced the kitchen about 6 years ago, and as far as we know there haven't been any leaks, either from the old dishwasher or under the sink adjacent to it, so why it's damp is a bit of a mystery. The walls are fine and the damp patch seems to be confined to an area of floor about 2 feet square. However, the wood is very spongy and will need to be cut out and replaced. Which means that all the floor tiles in that area will need to come up, and possibly the base units at that end of the kitchen will have to come out too.
Buggrit doesn't even come close.
Hopefully we can get it looked at later today to ascertain exactly what needs to be done, but until it's sorted we have a new dishwasher sitting in the middle of the kitchen, and all the stuff which has been emptied out of the base units is now in boxes on the table and worktops.
To put it mildly, it's a right guddle.
Whether we can get it sorted before Christmas is debatable, although if push comes to shove we can temporarily install the new dishwasher so that it can be used over the festive period, and deal with the floor replacement issue in the New Year.