Tuesday 2 February 2021

Mignonette Doll Club Project - Part 1

I mentioned in my last post about the new Mignonette Doll Club project for 2021, based on a wonderful doll presentation box featured in a video found by one of the members.

So, here's the basic box we're all starting with, which measures 25cm x 20cm x 10cm, and is available in the UK for the princely sum of £4.  Similar sized boxes should be available from craft and hobby outlets in other countries. 




I've made lots of doll presentation boxes over the years, but this is the biggest and most ambitious yet.   Several days were spent mulling the options and planning what to do. The box is deep enough for several layers, like the one in the original video, so I spent a fair amount of time cutting out bits of graph paper to try to decide what would go where.

I'd initially planned to use a little 1.75" toy doll with all her costumes and accoutrements, but she looked lost in all that space, so I'm going to make a 1/12th scale child, complete with her little toy doll, and toy doll's doll, with lots of costumes, toys and accessories.

One of the club members also mentioned a book she has, which features a doll box, which she was going to use for inspiration for her box, making all the items featured...


... so most of us bought a copy too! 

While I was deciding on the exterior and interior decoration, I removed the lid and the front clasp then sanded the box, paying particular attention to the raw edges of the plywood.

As I don't have any primer at the moment, I made a solution of PVA and water and brushed it over every surface to seal the wood and provide a slightly tacky surface to aid adhesion of the coverings.

Next.... what to use, in and out?



No comments: