Friday 27 May 2022

Project planning - Part 4

So.

Here we are, mere days away from the start of meteorological summer, and the new gazebo still isn't quite finished.  Not, as would usually be the case, due to any procrastination on my part, but because I've been 100% focussed on PP's post-surgical recovery, which is progressing well, if slowly.

No.... the delay has been due to having to completely re-think the roof, which has proved sadly lacking in the 'rain protection' stakes.  I had originally ordered a clear tarp, which was expertly lashed to the top by my garden rescue team, who assembled the gazebo.  However, after a few days of rain, water was pooling on the tarp and stretching it, creating deep puddles which I had to poke up from underneath, soaking everything within a 2m radius.

Back to the drawing board.

Lots of solutions presented themselves, mostly of the 'HOW MUCH?!?!?' variety.  PP had initially suggested using corrugated PVC for the roof, which I immediately shot down in flames as I loathe it, but as I trawled despondently through the various options, I reluctantly came to the conclusion that it might be the best, most cost-effective, easiest to fit option, as the corrugations would direct rainwater in one direction only, and water wouldn't run off the sides.   Fortunately, a kind family member was able to fit it in a few hours, rendering the new gazebo roof watertight.

Since then I've gradually added twinkling lights, and made a rather lovely floral garland to festoon along the front.  It just remains to finish off the seat cushions and work out the best configuration of throws and scatter cushions, then add the little finishing touches.  

I've set a tentative completion date of 1st June so we'll see how that goes.  Photos of the transformation will then be revealed.

*fingers firmly crossed*


No comments: