Wednesday 13 August 2014

Everything Alice.......

I've been completely submerged in a miniature world of Alice in Wonderland for most of the past month.  What with preparing the Alice toy doll workshop kits for the online show and working on a new Alice-themed toy theatre, I've been feeling slightly batty....  a bit like the Mad Hatter.

It all started when I made a miniature Alice in Wonderland theatre back in July.......



At the time I was really pleased with it, although the more I thought about it, the less pleased I became.  I started wondering about how I could make it more 'animated' by being able to move the characters around, as opposed to their being fixed in place.

And so began several weeks of research and development (also known as wailing and gnashing of teeth) while I worked my way through several prototypes, gradually refining and adding extra features till I ended up with this......







Rather like Alice's adventures in Wonderland, this toy theatre cabinet has several surprises!

Such as the concealed drawer in the base to store the cast of characters.....


  


There are 20 different characters included with the theatre, and each one is double-sided so that they can stand with their back to the audience if required.

But the best, the VERY BEST thing, is that each tiny character is mounted on a magnetic base, which allows them to be easily swapped and moved around, and they stand perfectly upright and never, EVER fall over.

How GOOD is that?  I mean..... it's practically MAGIC!

I'll gloss over my many attempts which ended in the bin, most of which were crushed in frustration first.  It's taken weeks to get everything just so...... and I can still think of ways to make it even better.

Over the past week I've been further refining the design and there are now two of these theatres listed on the website HERE!

Don't you just love it when a plan eventually comes together.......?


Click to play this Smilebox slideshow
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a digital slideshow

UPDATE - Since listing the theatres earlier today, both have now sold.  I will be making just a few more and in the meantime I will operate a waiting list.  If you wish to order one, please contact me and I'll add you to my list.  

3 comments:

Robin said...

Wonderful!
Rx

Unknown said...

these are brilliant, love them not surprised you sold out,

KT Miniatures said...

Exquisite! CeliaX