Sunday 12 February 2017

Microdoll costuming...

In my last post I talked about pleating silk ribbons and making silk underwear.

Moving on....


Socks are easy to make using pieces of cotton lace.   I was lucky to find fine lace with straight edges on each side, which is perfect for neat, little socks.

Next, the shoes.  Probably the most fiddly part of the costuming process.  I use narrow silk ribbon to match or contrast with the main costume colour.  The shoes are made in two parts, directly onto the feet.  I'm sure it's possible to make tiny removable shoes which will fit perfectly onto the feet, but I value my sanity so I've never dallied with that project.





The silk shoes have fine leather soles, which are glued onto the feet and allowed to dry thoroughly before carefully trimming.


Next stage.... cotton lace petticoats.



Then silk ribbon sleeves with teeny tiny vintage lace cuffs....


Next, the pleated silk skirt, bodice and sash.  All are carefully hand-sewn onto the doll.


Phew, nearly done!  After the wigging, I will add the pleated silk and lace bonnet.  The large bow is for the back of the dress.  The buds and bows trim and ribbon rosette bow will decorate the bonnet, along with a feather! 




Dressed in pale lavender silk and lace... just 1  3/4" tall!


It takes me several hours to dress and wig each little doll... that's after preparing the pleated ribbon and wigging material.

Even after all these years, and several thousand dolls later, when I add the final bow and survey my handiwork, I can't quite believe that this tiny doll started out weeks and weeks ago as a few thimblefuls of porcelain slip.

So this week I shall be mostly dressing tiny dolls.... bliss! 🙂

4 comments:

Maria Blanca "AyamontinoMaria" said...

Llevan mucho trabajo, pero ¡te quedan tan lindas! Un beso

Unknown said...

She's gorgeous Sandra! I'm following with great interest as I don't want to mess up my lovely prize kit :)

What kind of glue to you use to attach the ribbon and lace?

Sandra Morris said...

Clare.... I use Aleene's Tacky Glue, which is my 'go-to' glue for just about everything doll related.
It's not too thick, not too thin. Dries quickly, and most importantly, dries clear and flexible.
It's quite pricey but a little goes a l-o-n-g way.
I'll do a blog post on glues over the weekend. It's an important subject!

Unknown said...

Thank you! I'm terrified of ruining things, but dying to start too ;)