Sunday 12 February 2017

Thinking aloud.....





I'm sure I've blogged about this before, but Scrapbox have just brought out a new and improved version of their original craft storage unit.




I've drooled over this and its predecessor many, many times, but it's a very pricey piece of kit, (over £1300!😧) and since I currently have the unbridled luxury of an entire room in which to store my work stuff it's never been a serious 'must have'.

However, as I anticipate the prospect of downsizing with a view to taking a form of semi-retirement in the next few years, I've been revisiting my project plan.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that in a few years time we decide to move, perhaps to a cosy, quirky little flat overlooking the sea.  In all probability it would be two-bedroomed, which means that having a dedicated work/hobby room would be out of the question. 😏

Space would definitely be at a premium, and the 'spare' bedroom would have to multitask as a guest bedroom/workroom/office, which is a big ask as it would likely be on the  small/titchy/boxroom bijou side.

So, I'm thinking, what if I could create a craft armoire?  Using, say, a bog-standard IKEA flat-pack wardrobe.  And customising the interior to contain my core miniature-making supplies.

Cue a quick flick around Pinterest, where, naturally, LOADS of people have already done something similar.

Immaculately.....

This is definitely my favourite!  Love the bi-fold doors.

Clever integrated fold down worktop......

Integrated lighting.... tick!

Inspiring before and after photos...

Not an inch of space wasted.  Love the pediment too!

Must be possible to add a pull-out table into something like this.....

Some of them have slide out work surfaces, some have pull-down tables.  All have maximised the available space in inventive, innovative ways, using readily available storage and display materials.

I already have dozens of plastic boxes, which I use to store everything from silk ribbons to menagerie animals for my pullalong toys, so they would be perfect for internal storage as they stack so neatly.  

And if we ever do get round to reclaiming two of the spare bedrooms then I'd be able to use one of them to house my craft armoire project while I work on it!

I just love it when a plan starts to come together.....



1 comment:

Kathy S. said...

I need to create something like, as I am moving out of my office/craft room/spare bedroom so my daughter can have the room. But I still just don't see how I can store it all in there!