Wednesday 1 May 2019

Quart into a pint pot....?

You already know the backstory.....

Downsizing, blah, blah, de blah.... de-cluttering, blah, de blah, blah, clearing out the workroom, blah, de, blah, de blah.

If it feels like it's never-ending to you, just take a minute to think how it feels to me.
Groundhog Day doesn't even come close.

You'll know that I've been salivating over potential 'workstations' for when we eventually move house, and I've blogged before about converting wardrobes into craft armoires, or doing a cunning hack on Ikea units.

But most of the stuff I've been looking at has simply been too big.  Not in terms of all the stuff I have to fit inside, but in terms of taking up too much space in what will almost certainly be a multi-function room, as I will be giving up the luxury of an entire workroom.

Quite how this is to be achieved is a moot point, both from a practical and logistical point of view.

For example, I could wait until we have actually moved, then see how much space I can allocate to a work station, in the meantime, carrying on with the eternal emptying of my workroom, whittling down what I have, to only what I will need.

While eminently sensible, this solution does have a number of drawbacks, the foremost being that it is by far the least exciting.

So I'm going all out for Plan B, which is to buy and 'upcycle' a piece of furniture which will accommodate my streamlined work materials.  This will have the advantage of being both exciting and organic, as I can actually tailor it to my needs while still having my existing workroom to work from.

To this end I've been scouring Ebay and a range of second-hand furniture websites for some time, looking for a suitable candidate for my project.

Needless to say, Pinterest has a lot to answer for, as I've abandoned the idea of an eminently practical, utilitarian, slab-shaped cupboard, in favour of something rather more aesthetically pleasing, along these lines.....



This is an 18th century Italian bureau cabinet, and I think you'll agree it is a thing of beauty.  Personally I don't like the mirrored doors, which were a later addition, but the overall concept and execution is one which appeals to me.

Sadly I can't justify spending the £38,000 commanded by this genuine antique, but it got me thinking... so I've been looking for something broadly similar in function and style which I could customise to my heart's content.

Lovely yet affordable bureau bookcases are relatively thin on the ground and it feels barbaric to 'upcycle' a genuinely good piece.  
Ugly and affordable bureau bookcases are more readily available, but have generally been in really bad condition, with bits broken off, glass doors cracked, and drawers falling apart.
What I've been looking for is something in reasonably good condition, relatively cheap, and which wouldn't break my heart to customise.

Dear reader.... I think I've found it! 




Now.... admittedly, at the moment, a thing of beauty it is not.  It's definitely showing its age and has been knocked about a bit it, resulting in several scratches and marks.  It also has some knobs missing and is very grubby and in need of a good clean. The inset leather writing pad has definitely seen better days too.  However, as I'm going to have clean it thoroughly, prior to sanding then painting, there isn't anything which couldn't be fixed with a spot of wood filler.

I'll be changing the handles on the drawers, and replacing the knobs on the pull-out desk supports and the two little internal drawers.

I'm still pondering exactly what to do with it decor wise.  I don't want to be able to see through the top doors so I was thinking of removing the glass and replacing it with thin board, but instead I might leave the glass in situ and use either pieces of fabric or decorative paper behind the panes.  My A5 plastic boxes will fit inside perfectly, and if PP's calculations are correct I will be able to store 45 of them in the top section.  In addition, there will be a few inches spare space inside, so I can line the doors with decorated foamboard, onto which I could pin small bags for additional storage of very lightweight supplies.
I also have some sensational wallpaper I which might use to line the back of the top section.

For the base, I quite like the idea of facing the drawer fronts with a vintage botanical style paper.... similar to this


I'll make bespoke compartments for inside the drawers, depending on what will be stored. 
Also thinking of adding some LED strip lighting in the opening desk section... I'll be able to drill holes through the back to make provision for an electricity supply for the lights and hopefully a few power sockets.

I can't actually go to pick it up till the end of next week, which allows time to give more thought to what to do, as well as trying to clear a space in the workroom for me to work on it in situ over the coming months.  This will mean getting rid of the large, open-fronted display unit which currently holds all of my plastic storage boxes.  

So watch this space.....!

2 comments:

Daydreamer said...

Oooohh, I love this idea! I have always loved a good "secretary" with lots of cubbies and drawers! This one looks like it will be so much fun to re-finish! Regardless of the down-sizing intentions, this will be a great work-space! And you can always down-size later! :):)

Megan Schetsche said...

Oh, that's so exciting! I would have snapped it up in a moment. The cabinet has 'good bones' and you'll be able to work with it to create a workspace of your dreams. I wouldn't remove the glass, it's an essential part of the cabinet's character. Face it with fabric, or board with pretty paper on the back and if there's space on the inside, you can add hooks for scissors etc. Good lighting is a must for any workspace, so definitely include that in your planning. I can't wait to see how it turns out.