Friday 12 March 2021

Also this.....

 So, the good news is, that with PP's help,  well over half the kitchen has now had two coats, and the remainder has had one.  I reckon we can complete the rest tomorrow and return the room to some sort of normality. 

I've gone a bit OCD over the colour of the new blind.  I know EXACTLY the shade I want, but it's so difficult to decide on a laptop screen, so I've ordered free samples from several different companies, in the hope that one of them will be spot on.   I've also ordered fabrics to make the new door window curtain and bunting (yayyyy.... bunting!) so the plan is coming together nicely.

I'm also forging ahead with plans for the scruffy area directly outside our kitchen, which is a dumping ground for all sorts of garden stuff and is fairly unusable due to it being shingled.  For several years I've dreamt of transforming it into a lovely oasis of calm, with comfortable seating, soft lighting and luxurious planting.  PP has been resistant, due to the fact that it's where she washes stuff, but I think I may have persuaded her that an area to relax in comfort, with a glass of wine of an evening, is A Good Thing.

The area in question is something around 10.5 square metres, so not too big, but also not too small.  I've spent ages this past week trying to persuade builders to come and give us a quote to pave the area to match the existing patio....all to no avail.  I suppose that tradespeople who work outdoors haven't been much impacted by the various lockdowns, but also, people who have been at home for much of the last year are having work done on their outdoor spaces.... it's a fine balance.

I finally arranged for a local company to come today to give us a quote.  He hummed and hawed.  Apparently, as I already knew, "it's not a small job, but at the same time it's not a big job.  It's a 'middling' job".  

He then quoted a figure which gave me a fit of the vapours.

Me: *reeling* HOW MUCH?!?!
Him: *sanguinely* Well, as I said, it's not a big job, and it's not a sm.....
Me:*interrupting* Yes, yes I know.... you said that already.  But that's MUCH more than I was expecting.
Him: *bridling*  Ah right, is it though?  OK.... well I suppose I could reduce it by £100.
Me: *expressing WTF with my eyebrows*  Wow.... that's generous of you!  
Him: *placidly* Yeah... well, let me tell you, we're just now doing a drive at the top of your road, up and round the corner, so if you want us to do it just let us know.
Me: *flabbergasted* OK... well we need to get a few quotes so we'll get back to you.
Him: *knowingly* Ah, you're having problems getting quotes... am I right?
Me: * cautiously* Well, yes.
Him:*smugly* Ah, well, we're ALL inundated with work.  You might not get yours done till late summer. 

I stared out over our drive to his gleaming white, brand new pickup truck, momentarily blinded by the sun glinting off all the highly polished chrome.  I glanced back at his designer tracksuit, whiter than white trainers and sharp haircut, as he fiddled impatiently with his state-of-the-art iphone.

Hmmm.... think I'll keep looking.

3 comments:

Dorothy In PA said...

Good for you! I hate when people who are supposed to be helpful and provide a service act like they are doing one a favor.

I am sure you will find a good worker soon.

Megan Schetsche said...

A not too big, not too small, oasis garden corner sounds like just the thing you need.
What is it with builders???
That said, I find myself losing track of the cost of things lately. I'm always saying, 'What?! I would have expected to pay half as much for that.' I hope you find a builder with a more reasonable quotation.

Sandra Morris said...

We've now had four quotes, each one higher than the last, so we've changed tack and are going to do something easier ourselves. *fingers firmly crossed*