Thursday 10 June 2021

Little by little......

I've finally managed to get the base and wall unit combo out of the workroom.  In the end, PP decided that they would take up too much room in the shed so with that, I hoiked them out and they're currently in the dining room, pending their sale or eventual 'freecycling'. 

Yesterday I emptied and cleaned the two bookshelves and gave them a coat of Ultra Grip, which claims to prepare melamine surfaces to accept mineral paint.  It went on milky and dried clear.

Before: the horrible orangey melamine

Today I've completed two coats of the mineral paint, including all 8 shelves.

After:the altogether more pleasing pale blue


Although they look the same colour as the walls, they're a subtly different shade of blue.  I've ordered new white shelf support plug thingys, as the originals were dark brown.  I'm hoping they'll arrive tomorrow so that I can put all the shelves back and start to refill them.  

I've also had a rethink about some of the stuff I have stored in my bureau cabinet drawers, which is annoyingly inaccessible when the desk top is down, which is 95% of the time. 

My eventual aim is to get everything work related into these two bookshelves plus my bureau cabinet.  Just how realistic that is, remains to be seen. 

In the meantime I'm gradually chipping away at selling my books and surplus to requirements fabrics and trimmings.   If you'd like an updated sale list please let me know.  

So, at the moment the workroom is chock-a-block with stuff from the bookshelves and I'm looking forward to getting it all moved round, reorganised and ship-shape again.

To be continued.......



2 comments:

Megan Schetsche said...

That is an impressive transformation. The new colour is restful and it harmonizes much better with the room. I know this was melamine so painting it was not a difficult decision but I'm always in a quandary when it comes to wooden furniture. I lean towards painting it but then I hear the rebukes from a future generation in my mind.
Good luck with reorganizing and reducing your stash. It sounds as though you are on a mission and making good progress. If I was in Germany already, I could take over some of your excess. I know I will sorely miss the things I leave behind but here in South Africa, I'm also busy downsizing and sorting. Estimated date of move is now 18 months. It feels like it's taking forever, and it feels like it's much too soon. I just hope the pandemic is on its way out by then and that the world economy is in a more stable orbit. Our tentative inquiries into shipping containers has led us to discover that there's a worldwide shortage of containers and shipping costs have increased 200% since 2019... More things heading to the trash; we will only be able to take the most essential possessions with us.

Sandra Morris said...

Thanks Megan :)
It does finally feel as though I'm making inroads. I've taken out 4 storage units in the past few years which has definitely freed up lots of space, and although the remaining storage was groaning at the seams, I'm starting to see little pockets of empty space.
Good luck with your ongoing downsizing exercise.... 18 months will whizz by! Plus, possibly the shipping container shortage will rectify itself in that time frame....