Tuesday 25 May 2021

Workroom, shirk room.....

Whilst progress on the patio has been stymied, due to the continuing inclement weather, I've been chipping away at clearing out the workroom.  I'm aiming to get to the point where all that's left is what I actually REALLY need to continue making my little dolls.

I recently got rid of one big wall cupboard, which leaves its accompanying base unit.  PP thinks she might be able to use one, or both, in the shed, but to do that we'll need to clear out the shed completely, get rid of all the accumulated junk, old tins of paint etc etc etc, and we simply haven't had a full day with no rain or wind in which to make a start.

So in the meantime I've been gradually sorting through all my remaining fabrics, trimmings etc and reorganising them to fit into smaller boxes, which stack neatly in my two remaining bookshelves....

I had been considering getting some new white bookshelves, as the ones I currently have are a horrid orangey-coloured melamine, but they are an absolutely perfect fit for my storage boxes and I doubt I'd find anything else exactly the same width as they're several decades old. 



 Then I remembered that I still have a full pot of the paint I used to upcycle my bureau cabinet.  Trouble is, painting over melamine is a nightmare.... I've done it before and the paint has a tendency to chip and flake off.  However, a quick Google revealed this...


Ultra Grip claims to be a bonding agent specifically for melamine, and even better, it's made by the same company that produced my paint, so the two should work perfectly together.      PP then came up with the excellent suggestion of moving my cabinet to the space between the two re-painted bookshelves as they will all match.  

I can't empty the bookshelves though, until the base cabinet has been removed, which in turn requires clearing out the shed, which in turn requires at least 2 days without rain.  It would be even better if I could do the painting of the bookshelves outside too. 

I have to touch up a few dinks and chips on my bureau, which I'll do at the same time, and I'm considering changing some of the decorative papers in the glass doors, so that they all match the drawers in the base.  I still have a few pieces of the paper left so fingers crossed there will be enough to do the 16 small glass panels.  I will have to make templates and do some very judicious matching and patching... it will be a close run thing! 



So, when the cabinet is moved, I will have liberated a whole wall, and opened up the room.

Do you remember when I got this....


At the time I fondly imagined sitting on it.... making notes in my 'ideas notebook', reading, or simply relaxing while listening to the radio.  Needless to say, I could count the number of times I've done any of those things on the fingers of half a hand.  In fact, our lovely little Lucy sat in it far more than I've ever done.....

Awwwww..... 😢

Well, when I move the cabinet I'm going to relocate this chair to the empty wall, where I will then have a view out of the windows.   I might also get a soft rug, to make my new seating area more 'kumphie', as Small Dog would no doubt have suggested.

So, a tentative plan is coming together. But until I can crack on with it, I'll get back to sorting through yet more boxes, organising and consolidating.  




1 comment:

Megan Schetsche said...

I think you are far ahead of me in the sorting game, Sandra, and gaining ground all the time. Your workroom is going to be wonderful.
According to my German family the last few days have been warm and sunny, I hope the weather extends all the way to you too.