Thursday 6 November 2008

Technical difficulty............

I don't know why I persist in tormenting myself with seemingly impossible technical challenges.

Like setting minute handmade glass eyes into tiny dolls.
Or deciding to produce a jointed tiny doll with a fully articulated head.
Or both.

The doll in question is just over 1 1/2" tall. So the body cavity is really, really small. So the network of stringing required to joint arms, legs and head is a real technical problem.

Having spent several hours today struggling with various methods of achieving this miniature feat I can report that it is possible.

Just.

But maddeningly, infuriatingly, frustratingly difficult.

My prototype has demonstrated exactly where I've going wrong, and I'm sure that I can improve on it in terms of simplifying the construction, but each doll is going to take 10 times longer to create than my normal little toy dolls, which have jointed arms and legs and painted eyes.

So I have to ask myself, is it worth it?

No comments: