Monday, 12 December 2016

Norovirus.... you don't want it

Our Christmas preparations have been put on hold while PP and I work our way through a dose of Norovirus.

As we've both succumbed simultaneously, we've had to quickly perfect a seamless bathroom relay turnaround, complete with bucket.

Yes... I know.

Too much information.

On the plus side, we're already feeling sick and bad, so synchronised vomiting isn't really an issue.  

Ditto the other end.

Yes, yes.... WAAAAY too much information.

If you've ever had Norovirus you will be nodding sagely, possibly even sympathising with our joint plight.

If you've never experienced it, you will be all about the 'EEEEWWWW'.

As well as the all too obvious symptoms, I've had aches and pains, a raging headache and in the wee, small hours last night, feeling hot and feverish, I started hallucinating.

As I drifted in and out of sleep, I thought I could see some 'thing' crawling along on top of the wardrobe.  My bedside light was on low so that I could easily negotiate the now well-worn path from bed to bathroom and out of the corner of my eye I kept catching sight of it.

A low-slung creature, lurking in the shadows behind the TV and boxes.

I toyed with the notion of switching off my bedside light, but the thought of 'it' slithering, unseen, down the front of the wardrobe, across the carpet and up onto the bed..... *shudder*

In a brief moment of lucidity, I reasoned that if there really was anything up there, Small Dog would have been going ballistic, but she hadn't budged.  I glanced down to her bed on the floor to check she was asleep.

She wasn't there.

Gone off downstairs on one of her regular nocturnal peregrinations.


Anyway.... no thanks to SD, I survived the night and am feeling marginally better today. Even managed to stomach half a slice of toast and some soup which is progress, although my gastro-intestinal tract currently feels and sounds like Vesuvius.

Completely washed out too....  the summit of my ambition today has been to sofa surf daytime TV which, given the time of year, is wall-to-wall festive food.

A whole world of NO!

Hopefully, over the next few days we'll stage a careful return to eating, and may even be able to stay upright for more than 10 minutes before having to sit down and have a rest.

As we've effectively been in quarantine since it started, we're hopeful that we haven't passed it on to anyone else.  We've also been implementing forensic infection control measures, mostly involving industrial quantities of bleach, disinfectant and antibacterial gel.

Because.... trust me.....

1 comment:

Megan Wallace said...

Wa ha ha. I know you don't feel like laughing, but you summed it up so well. Had one in South America a few years ago that made me not reach the bathroom in time, most of the time. Good luck, and I hope you recover quickly.