Wednesday 20 January 2021

Sad news.....

I have some very sad news.

We had to say goodbye to our beloved little Lucy last Thursday evening.  We are beyond heartbroken and I'm writing this through a blur of tears.

I wrote at the beginning of the month that she had had a recurrence of the abscess, and initially she seemed to be responding to the antibiotic treatment.  However, after a few days she was eating less and less and was very lethargic, sleeping almost all the time.  We hoped that she would slip away gently in her sleep but her fierce little spirit was still there and she wouldn't give up.

Last Thursday, she wasn't able to drink, and seemed to be a bit lost.  She kept looking at us as if to say 'What's wrong with me? Please help me' and we knew that the time had come.

We were with her as she went to sleep.....Pam was holding her in her arms and I was stroking her little head.  We were able to spend some time with her afterwards, before we left to come home without her.

We feel unmoored and cast adrift. The three of us were always together, almost every single day since she first came home with us.  She came everywhere with us and our lives largely revolved around her.

The house is simultaneously echoingly empty and yet so full of her.  Her beds, her blankets, her harness and lead, her little waterproof coat, her fleecy jumper, her food and water bowls.  

All the little rituals which framed our days together are missing.  

Waking up with her in the mornings and her waiting till the last one of us came downstairs.      Her trotting into the kitchen for her breakfast, before heading out to check the perimeter in the garden.                                                                                                                                                         Her little vocalisations.... the sigh as she laid down in her bed, the 'harrumph' if she sought attention and it wasn't granted (that didn't often happen), the little excited squeaks as her dinner bowl descended.

We keep thinking we hear her paws on the floor, or scratching at the kitchen door to be let inside.  

We miss her little nose, appearing round the office door as she came to greet us when we came home from even the briefest time away.

I miss her appearing in the workroom almost every day at 5pm, and sitting staring at me, or poking me gently with her paw to let me know it was time to stop.

When we make up the fire in the afternoon, I miss her coming to sit beside me on the hearthrug to supervise and claim some strokings.

Racing upstairs ahead of us at bedtime then waiting while her bed was made up for her.  Leaving the bedroom door ajar for her, just so.  The sounds of her digging up her smoothly made bed and turning round and round to find the most comfortable spot.  Her little snufflings and snorings through the night.

I've been sleeping snuggled beside her blanket, which still holds her familiar scent. 

At some point we will be able to think of her and smile, but for now it's mostly tears and the pain of missing her. We want her back.  Our little family will never be the same without her.

She was the best dog ever and we will miss her every day.  

Sleep well little Lucy.




10 comments:

Daydreamer said...

Dear Sandra and Pam, I am so sad to hear this news. I have worried about Small Dog since before you even brought it up... knowing that she was no longer young... and knowing our beloved pets leave us too soon. They take our Hearts with them. I know your pain and share it with you. Please accept my wishes that you find you way past the tears and emptiness. She was beloved and she loved you. My thoughts are with you.

Deborah McLachlan said...

So very sorry to hear of your loss. Lucy lived the life all Small Dogs deserve.

Pat said...

Rest in peace, angel.

Sandra Morris said...

Thank you all for your kind messages. She was an integral part of my blog, and I always particularly enjoyed writing and sharing her stories. It's a comfort to know that she was so loved by those who followed her adventures. Sxx

DollMum said...

I'm so sorry that Small Dog is no more - I'm not surprised you are both bereft as she was definitely a big part of your daily lives, despite her small stature her personality was huge and very special. I shall miss your hilarious descriptions of her supervising your miniature making operations, she was such fun. It is never easy saying goodbye to a beloved pet (I'm dreading it for our Cocker spaniel who at 12.5 is now deaf). Take care of yourselves as you learn to live without her.

Dee said...

I’m so sorry for the loss of your dear little dog.

Marisa said...

im so sorry for your loss


Dorothy In PA said...

I am so sorry for the lost of your sweet little companion. You have captured her in words so poignantly that I feel I can see her. I hope you can continue to find comfort in her memory.

Catherine / Mooghiscath said...

Hello Sandra
Just a little message to let you know that I understand the immense sadness of having to say goodbye to Lucy, her beloved animal. It takes time for sadness to be less difficult to bear. Our animals have a good life, we give them all the comfort and love that they make us feel good. They are part of our family and we will never forget them.

Kathy S. said...

I am so sorry about the loss of Lucy. She was truly beloved and her character shown through all your posts about her and her much valued commentary about life. I will miss her too. It's so hard to lose a loved member of your family. I send you a big hug.