Saturday 2 January 2021

Happy New Year.....

I would like to wish all my blog readers a very Happy, Healthy New Year.  Hopefully 2021 will be better all round, although we still have rocky months ahead.

Despite my ongoing back issues, I did manage to enjoy some 'play' time during the Twixmas period. As well as more planning and tinkering with my little half scale shop/house I have been exploring and perusing one of my lovely Christmas presents from PP.....


It marries two of my favourite things, making stuff and books.  It's a complete bookbinding starter kit to make two hardback notebooks, properly bound and stitched with headbands... just like a real book.  I reckon the first one will take me about a day... there are lots of different stages to making a proper book and I want to really enjoy the process and get it right.  

However, I've already started making changes.  Instead of the admittedly lovely book cover papers, I'm going to substitute some absolutely gorgeous fabric. There is a wonderfully helpful Facebook group for people who have purchased the kit and via that, I've already discovered how to prepare fabric to act like paper for the covers.  So as soon as my additional supplies arrive I'm going to make a special notebook to document my mignonette doll makes this year.  If it turns out well I might make another just like it as a prize for a future mignonette doll club competition, so watch this space....


4 comments:

Dorothy In PA said...

I hope you are feeling better.

It sounds like this project will be fun. I am all thumbs when it comes to crafting but I love to watch what other people do. I look forward to following your progress.

Happy 2021 - two days in!

Sandra Morris said...

Thanks Dorothy.... I'll try to remember to take some photos while I'm making my first notebook. I'm determined to shoehorn as many enjoyable projects into my 'working' days as possible, as I'm sure that initially, 2021 is shaping up to be just as challenging as its predecessor! Sx

Daydreamer said...

Dear Sandra, I am glad to hear you are "getting on" okay and enjoying the new project prospects! The bookbinding kit looks like a lot of fun! I took a craft class in Junior High (13 yr. olds) that had a bookbinding segment and I have Loved book-making ever since! I covered mine in cloth (totally against the teacher's desires... but she let me...!) using a thick woven cloth with a fringe which I left along the spine edge....! I then proceeded to hand illustrate the (very poor quality paper) pages and eventually turned it into a recipe-book of sorts. I still have it.... incomplete in terms of illustrated pages... but much used and loved! I hope you have Great times with your book project..... and I look forward to seeing the results! :)

Sandra Morris said...

Betsy...Oh wow! You've done bookbinding too?!? Your legacy recipe book sounds wonderful... such a lovely, practical example of the skill. I'd never be able to do my own illustrations though.... drawing is a skill I've never mastered.
Bookbinding is something I've always wanted to try but simply never got round to. I'm so looking forward to having a go. I do know that using fabric to bind the cover isn't recommended for beginners are there are a lot of pitfalls, mostly caused by the fabric getting too wet with the glue. I'm going to back it with a fusible webbing, then iron both layers onto tissue paper. Hopefully then it won't be too thick to easily fold and crease, but the glue shouldn't fully penetrate the fabric. There are some wonderfully helpful people in the bookbinding group who gave me these tips so I hope I can do them justice.
I'm planning to make a start this week so I'll post my progress in due course *fingers crossed*