Wednesday 5 May 2021

Firsts and lasts.....

2021 is a year of firsts and lasts.... some heartbreakingly sad and emotional, others exciting but still slightly worrisome.

This week I will be completing my last commissions, for some lovely, long-term customers. Over the past 30+ years I've lost count of the many, many miniatures I've made to commission.  It must run into several hundreds.  It pleases me enormously that my tiny creations can be found in doll's houses all around the world.

From now on I will still be making tiny dolls for sale, and possibly the occasional more elaborate project piece, but I am no longer accepting customer commissions.

Over the decades I have also designed and produced many dozens of kits.... some quick and easy, others devilishly difficult and time consuming.  I have in mind to create just a few more kits this year, one in particular to commemorate the contribution made by Small Dog, who was a key member of the THD team for many years.

Similarly, the KDF online showcase, which begins on 14th May, will be my last.  I first exhibited at the Kensington Dollshouse Festival many years ago, and also taught workshops. During the past year their world-famous shows have moved online, and I have participated in all three of them.  Later in the year, Covid permitting, they will return to live shows, which I won't be attending.  

This is also the last year for our current Tower House Dolls website.... I'm currently investigating other avenues for sales which are less costly and onerous.

Hopefully, by the end of this year, the business in its final slimmed-down form will be ready to move forward.

Until then I'll be continuing to clear out and reorganise my workroom.  Having recently removed a large storage cabinet, I still have another cabinet to go in order to liberate one end of the room.  I have amassed a large pile of books which I'll be compiling into a Book Sale List, which should be ready to release by the end of this month.  As with my fabrics and trimmings list (which is currently being updated) it will be available as a PDF file on request, so if you would like to receive a copy just let me know and I'll add you to the mailing list.

Having taken the decision to downsize the business in preparation for my eventual full retirement it feels as though the wheels are now in motion and picking up momentum. 

Onwards and upwards......

2 comments:

Dorothy In PA said...

It sounds like you are putting things in order. I think last year invited all of us to do just that.

I hope that we can plan special little celebrations as we move into this new normal.

Sandra Morris said...

Thanks Dorothy....
Yes, I think the new normal will take some getting used to, after over a year of the very abnormal. In some ways life will never be the same again, so I'm hoping for a different sort of normal.