Sunday 23 May 2021

Mignonette Doll Club Project - Part 2

Back in February I wrote about the Mignonette Doll Club project for this year.  Since then I've been remiss in posting an update, despite making reasonable progress, so here's what I've achieved so far.

I searched far and wide for decorative papers for the inside and outside, but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for, so I decided to make my own.  I tiled a repeating pattern on my laptop, then printed the resulting A4 images on high quality matte coated photo paper.



Inkjet inks are prone to fading in UV light, so I sprayed each sheet liberally with a UV protective spray designed specially for fixing inkjet prints. 


After leaving all the sheets to dry thoroughly, I set about applying them to my box.  I cut each exterior piece slightly larger than the surface they were attaching to.... you'll see why in a minute.

I didn't want to risk using a wet adhesive in case it seeped through the paper and caused the inks to dissolve and run.  Also, making the paper damp would cause it to swell and ripple.... like wallpaper.  So instead I used an adhesive film applicator, which applies a thin layer of dry adhesive film. 

As the adhesive is dry, it's not possible to slide the paper around when applying it to the box, hence cutting each piece slightly larger for the outside. 

Once the paper was applied and smoothed down, I used a craft knife (with new, super-sharp blade!) to trim away the excess on all sides. 

Box exterior.... neatly covered


Interior....a bit more tricky!

The interior was slightly more difficult, as I couldn't trim the edges on my cutting mat, so I had to cut each piece to the exact size.  I made paper templates of each surface and used them to cut the interior papers.  I placed the base and lid bottoms first, then each side, lining up the paper along the top edges.

So far so good.  Now to plan and fit out the interior.





2 comments:

Megan Schetsche said...

That looks so neat and professional! Nothing like my hit and miss methods.

Sandra Morris said...

Oh, trust me, there's a LOT of hit and miss to come!