Tuesday 27 November 2012

Printer update......

The printer and I are still not on speaking terms.  It's sulking and keeps balefully blinking its status lights at me.  Hopefully by the time I need to prepare another complicated print run it will have repented its wayward behaviour and be back to its normal helpful self.

However, in the meantime, I received this email this morning........

 
Dear Morris,
Thank you for contacting Canon Technical Support.
We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing problems with your PIXMA MP980.
Since your printer is connected through USB we would advise you to try the following things:
-try to connect the USB to a different port
-try replacing the USB cable
If you continue having trouble, please do not hesitate contacting us again.
Your sincerely,
Bastiaan de Wit
Canon Services & Support



Now.

There are several reasons I'm unhappy with this response so in the unlikely event that Canon Services and Support keep tabs on what their customers are saying about them, I'm going to clearly delineate them here.

First.  My name is not Morris. The tech help form I completed asked for my first and last names, which I provided.  I'll answer to Sandra, or Ms Morris, but not a brusque Morris.

Second.  I do not have a Pixma MP980.  I have a Pixma iP4500, which is nowhere near.  How incompetent do they have to be to get that basic piece of information so badly wrong? I've Googled the MP980, in case it was generically similar to mine but it's an all singing, all dancing wireless all-in-one with built in 3.5" colour TFT screen.  Looks a nifty bit of kit and is probably far superior to my lowly iP4500 which can only print.

Sometimes.

Third, fourth and fifth.  I had already tried both of the suggested solutions, a fact which I shared with Canon in the box marked "what have you already tried to solve the problem"? Also, since the printer they think I have is a wireless model, why would they think it's connected via USB?  

As for not hesitating to contact them again, in the entirely likely event that Mr de Wit's suggestions did NOT solve the problem, (and since they didn't when I had ALREADY tried them) I see absolutely no point in doing so. 

Sheesh.....!

*mutter.... bloody tech support..... mutter.... bunch of idiots.......mutter *
 

2 comments:

PastMastery said...

I think his name is wrong...perhaps it should read Bastard de Witless....? Hmmm ? sx

Neen said...

Send a letter to the president of the company, those are significant mistakes that were made. Sometimes they give presents if they are truly sorry.