Thursday 20 December 2018

Cutting edge.....

Every craftsperson has a favourite tool, related to their particular craft.

As I work in a variety of materials, from porcelain to silk, I have several favourite tools, and dread the day they either break or get irretrievably lost.

Which explains why I've been in a bit of a tizz this week.  I've lost my old, most favourite craft knife.  Granted it wasn't a thing of beauty.  It had a crack running along the top and was spattered with paint and bits of glue.  The lid/safety guard had bits broken off it too.

But I can't find it and I'm bereft.

I had it a few weeks back when I put up the Christmas decorations, and I have a clear memory of seeing it on the table in the sitting room.  I can't remember putting it back into the workroom, but I'm sure I would have done, as it's a dangerous thing to leave lying around.

It's possible that it fell into one of the empty festive decoration boxes, which have now been stowed back in the loft, but I'm sure I checked each of them carefully.

I've been trying to compensate by using a different style of craft knife, the one with snap-off/push-up blades, but it's nowhere near as precise or accurate as my old one.  To add to my chagrin, I'd only just replaced the blade with a new, super-sharp one (No 11, obviously) so that's gone as well. *sigh*

So today I've been trying to find a suitable replacement, with a view to treating myself to a new craft knife.  Who knew that there were so many different types???!  I've spend quite a while researching different styles and finally decided on a similar style to my lost one, but with a soft-grip handle.  


The storage case also holds blades, which is useful as I'm forever forgetting where my spares are.

Of course, almost inevitably, my trusty old knife will now resurface... perhaps I should have ordered a new one sooner.



No comments: