Thursday 27 December 2018

Twixmas......

Oooft....

Having survived the whirlwind of activity that constitutes Christmas chez nous, I'm now basking in that fabled period, beloved of miniaturists the world over.... Twixmas.

Last Twixmas I was working on THIS but my heart really wasn't in it, so it never got further than having the dormers fitted and the roof tiled.  The house itself has remained in kit form, awaiting time and inspiration, both of which have been in very short supply this year.

But last spring, I discovered a new kit, which supplanted Willow Cottage in my (admittedly fickle) affections, and I've been coveting it ever since.

So, this, year, under the tree, there was a present with my name on it.  (Thanks PP!!!)





A gorgeous little half scale shop and house kit combined....

I love the frontage, and the interior is a glorious blank canvas, but predictably it's not going to look anything like the two images above.

I'd been thinking along the lines of trying to emulate a Bliss-style lithographed house from the late 1800s.  Something like these....




But during my Pinterest peregrinations I found this.....


..... which has the overall look of an antique house, with lithograph-style pretensions.


Putting them side by side I don't think it's too much of a stretch to transform one into a version of the other.  What do you think? 

Anyway..... over the course of the next few days I fully intend to roll up my sleeves, pull up my big girl pants and get stuck in.  
With the planning..... and such.
Never does to get ahead of oneself.... does it?

5 comments:

Megan Schetsche said...

Now I know why you were asking about lithographic technique. The little house/shop is gorgeous! I recently found some excellent brick pattern scrapbook papers in a craft shop. The scale was wrong, so I resized it on my computer and took it to a printing shop to have it printed by laser on heavy paper. The end result was perfect for my needs. I'm not certain that it might not fade in time, but so would a lithograph.
That house is going to be so much fun to work on!

Sandra Morris said...

Thanks Megan....
Fun... yes I do hope so. I'm also planning on designing some of the frontage bits myself, although I've found a lovely half scale distressed brick paper with will go on the upper floor. Just trying to work out the best way to simulate Ashlar stone for the shop level.. not sure whether to make the blocks from suitably coloured card, or trying to print some.
Decisions, decisions.... ;)

elizabeth s said...

How Lovely!!!! I think that your plans to incorporate the lithograph look to your new dollhouse kit is a Terrific Idea! Your kit is charming to begin with even in its raw state, however it looks like it is crying out to become a modern day "antique" so you'd better get busy! :D

Sandra Morris said...

Thanks Elizabeth....
Just hope the reality lives up to my expectations!

Janet said...

What a lovely little kit! That should keep you busy for a while!