Sunday 6 January 2019

Twelfth Night.....

Twelfth Night traditionally marks the end of the Christmas festivities, so today I've been de-Christmasfying the house.



Gone is the lovely tree with its twinkling lights.
Gone is the mantlepiece garland with its sparkly lights
Gone is the table centre piece with its flickering lights
Gone is the little bird tree with its shimmering lights.

Small Dog is unimpressed.....





Except.... as there is a bird theme in the newly madeover dining room, I'm inclined to carry it on, without the very obvious small Christmas tree.  So I'm on the hunt for a similar size illuminated twig, onto which I can clip all the little birds, and which will light up a corner of the room.  

I'm also looking for replacement lights for the denuded mantlepiece.  The old LED set which is many years old, are starting to fail, and many of them are either constantly flickering, which I don't like, or not working at all.

If there's ever a time of year which cries out for lots of light, it's January/February.  After all the festive sparkle, the lack of it is particularly noticeable. further deepening the depressing feeling of already failed New Year resolutions, post Christmas bills and the continuation of the deep, dark, damp, dank days of winter.  

As a result, each year another set of lights escape being boxed up and put back in the loft, and are instead festooned in a gloomy corner somewhere in the house.







4 comments:

elizabeth s said...


Denuding a room after Christmas does require an emotional readjustments especially during these short,,dark and gloomy days, but the way I look at it is that each day passing is one day closer to Spring.
And a daily dose of Vitamin D really helps too! ;D

Kathy S. said...

Yes, I hate taking down all my festive Christmas decorations because then the house feels so bare. I am thinking about adding some LED lights to cheer it up.

Sandra Morris said...

Elizabeth.... yes, although spring does still feel a long way away. And yes, I do take Vitamin D every day :)

Sandra Morris said...

Penelope.... go for it. It's hard not to be uncheered by a liberal application of fairy lights! :)