Wednesday 31 May 2023

Campervan Makeover.... Part 1

No, I haven't misspelled the post title, and you haven't missed a post.  Neither have I had a bang to the head, although it does sometimes feel like it.

Despite being in the throes of a makeover in the newly designated craft room, and still dealing with the aftermath of the cloakroom refurbishment, we bought a little campervan a few weeks ago, before we had even sold the caravan.  For 10 days our drive looked like a temporary campsite, with the caravan, campervan, two cars plus my step-daughter's little campervan too.  Dog knows what the neighbours thought was going on. 

However, we have since sold our lovely caravan to a very nice couple although we both shed a tear as it disappeared down the road.

The replacement 'new to us' campervan is a bit tatty in places and the interior is unrelentingly boringly bland and beige so I don't quite love it yet.  We've had to have the handbrake fixed as it wouldn't hold on our admittedly steeply sloping drive, and on our first trip out last weekend the tap in the bathroom was leaking lots.   Undeterred, we dismantled the sink and found the source of the leak and managed a temporary fix, which we've now sorted permanently yesterday.  

However, it was a bargain, has everything we need (and some things we don't) has quite low mileage and I've just embarked on a major makeover of the interior to do away with the beige and introduce some much needed colour and joie de vivre.

It was a self-build conversion project by the previous owner, rather than a factory-fitted van, so I don't feel the slightest bit constrained in terms of what is permissible.  We've already stripped out some of the extraneous, surplus-to-requirements fixtures and fittings, both in order to reduce the weight and fuel consumption, and streamline the storage. 

Yesterday I started making new cushion covers for the seat base and back cushions and avoided near catastrophe when PP casually mentioned that they were all different sizes.  I'd measured one pair, assuming that they'd all be the same, as they look broadly similar, but they are indeed all different.  Cue instant panic as I'd only ordered enough fabric for my incorrect measurements but fortunately I'd measured the largest ones so I will have some fabric left over.  This is a much happier state of affairs than not having enough.

I've also been trawling the internet since we got the camper to find some lovely fabrics for the curtains and small cushions, as well, of course, as strings of colourful bunting.  Finally, two days ago I found the most gorgeous 100% cotton paisley print fabric in a range of mouthwatering colours which fulfills the brief and is amazingly inexpensive.  The downside is the seller is in California so it will cost me an arm and a leg (and possibly a kidney) for international shipping and probably import tax when it arrives.  I'm just awaiting confirmation of the shipping cost which will likely give me a fit of the vapours but it will be worth it.

I've also found some gorgeous stick-on tiles for the kitchen area, which I'll start to tackle after the seat cushion covers are finished.  The tiles can be cut with scissors so I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll be able to trim them to fit around curved edges, plug sockets etc.  I've got enough to use some in the bathroom too, to brighten it up a bit.

I've bought new floor mats to replace the black/brown/beige ones currently in situ, which should also enliven the floor.

My ultimate aim is to the have the most colourful, quirkiest, bunting festooned little campervan on a campsite anywhere in the UK.

Before and after photos will follow in due course......

No comments: