Saturday 3 June 2023

Mayhem ² ........

I'm beginning to think that retirement has sent me a little bit mad.  It's as if I'm terrified of having nothing to do so I plan a frankly ridiculous set of projects in order to keep myself occupied.  The downside of that admittedly unhinged strategy is that I've ended up engaged in multiple time consuming projects, all at the same time, and, predictably, mayhem has ensued.

Currently in progress I have:

  • Workroom makeover - progress stalled.  I've finished building the wall unit and have filled it with stuff, but there still appears to be more stuff banked up against the walls, awaiting sorting and storing.  I got all the painting things out in order to paint the wall where the run of base units were, and they're all in a pile on their own.
  • Cloakroom refurb - progress stalled.  There are various holes which need to be filled, but some of the fixtures need to be removed and replaced which will leave more holes so until that's done there's no point in filling the existing holes.  All the painting stuff is in the workroom next door so when all the holes have been filled I can paint the walls, which won't take long as the room is tiny.  Then I can hang the new prints, put up the new fixtures, including a new mirror and make a new window blind.  Fabric still to be decided.
  • Campervan upcycle - progress stalled.  I spent all day yesterday and a goodly chunk of today installing the sticker tiles.  That exercise merits a blog post all of its own.  I've also recovered all of the seat cushions.  Now awaiting the lovely fabrics from the US, which are currently in transit.  When they arrive I can then make the curtains and bunting, which will mostly complete the transformation.
So while these three projects are temporarily stalled I'm having a little rest I've started on yet another project, adding another storey to La Mignonette for the contents of my lovely day nursery, as I'm selling the roombox.
The room box is just a tad too big for my newly re-organised craft room and I've been vacillating over what to do with it.  During the makeover I moved both La Mignonette and the roombox into the dining room, toying with the idea of simply putting the shop on top of the box.  But the disparity in sizes just didn't look right.  Then I had a sudden brainwave... I've never fixed the roof of La Mignonette in place to give me access to the electrics, so if the upper storey is still available as a kit I could simply add it above the existing shop and put the roof on top.  A quick, frantic Google revealed that the kit was still available, and even better, it was heavily discounted.  The box has been sitting in a corner of the craft room for several weeks now, but with the current hiatus in my other projects, I decided that today was a good day to get it out and do a quick dry build to familiarise myself with the construction.

Of course, I'll have to Frenchify it.  I added French doors and a balcony to the first storey of La Mignonette but for the top floor I'll have a single window in the blank angled front wall instead, which will mean cutting out a window-sized rectangle from the MDF.  Not my favourite job so I might have to enlist the help of PP who is a bit of a whizz with stuff like that.  I won't have the exterior steps up to the door either, so I've blocked off the doorway with a piece of foamboard. 

Internally I'll have two walls given over to floor to ceiling shelving units, to display my large collection of miniature toys and games.  Obviously I'll also have lighting and a cosy fireplace.  I'm hoping I still have some of the paint I used, but I'll have to make more of the quoin stones and get another piece of railings for the windows.  Other than that I still have all of the furnishing from the day nursery so minimal additional expense.

I'm really rather pleased with my flash of inspiration, as the corner shop has a reasonably small footprint and will sit nicely in the corner by the window.   However I do need some bits and pieces before I can proceed with the build.... wallpaper, lights, flooring etc.

This is the kit I used for La Mignonette... Parts 1 & 2

Quick dry build to check dimensions etc.
 
My lovely room box which has been featured in The Doll's House Magazine is now available for sale... you can view the details HERE


No comments: