Sunday 4 June 2023

Campervan makeover.... Part 2

I've spend many hours over the past week (while I SHOULD have been doing other things) working on the campervan.   Making new covers for the six seat cushions and backs took all of THREE DAYS.  

This is what the original cushions looked like....


So.... sort of dung coloured, with stripes of corpse grey, enlivened with patches of bleargh beige.  Just not my thing AT ALL.

Here's what the same cushion looks like now....


It took me a l-o-n-g time to select that particular shade of blue out of eleventy different hues.  It's called hyacinth... not my usual go-to sky blue, but I wanted something a bit deeper and bluer.  The fabric is a polar fleece and really quite cheap.  It's washable, which is a bonus too.  

Having completed the seat cushions I then turned my attention to jooshjing up the kitchen area, which hitherto had an expanse of beige melamine at the end.


I found some very cheap (£1.50 for 10!!!) stick-on tiles from SHEIN.  Due to the price and the provenance I honestly wasn't expecting very much, but when they arrived I was pleasantly surprised, as the colours were vibrant and they felt quite good quality.

I have to admit that tiling, in all its forms, is not my forte.  However, as these tiles could easily be cut with scissors or a craft knife I felt cautiously optimistic that I could do a reasonable job.

It would have been immeasurably easier if there had been a single straight, plumb line in the entire van, and I quickly discovered that I would have to go off piste and play it by ear.  Admittedly there was a modicum of indecorous language and at points I seriously questioned why I'd ever started, but after several hours I'd achieved this....


After much deliberation I decided to go with a random tile pattern, rather than a predictable repeating one, which I felt really wasn't in the spirit of a quirky little van. 

Have you ANY idea how difficult it is to do random?  I had to work really hard to avoid repeats in rows and/or columns.  Despite that, I'm sure a few have slipped in but overall I'm pleased with how it's turned out.  

Now I have to wait for the lovely, quirky fabrics  for the curtains, small cushions and bunting to arrive. USPS informs me that

Your item arrived at our USPS facility in SAN JOSE CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER on June 2, 2023 at 9:23 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

Since then I've heard nothing, so whether it's still languishing in San Jose, or is already winging its way over the Atlantic I have no idea.  

I've also made this to go on a little felt notice board on the cab bulkhead....


OK, so it's a traditional VW campervan, totally unlike ours, but it was the only campervan template I could find so it will have to do. 

Meanwhile, debate continues on a name for her.  I favour Florrie but PP is unsure.  

So.... lots of work but I'm pleased with how she's looking so far.  


No comments: