Friday 9 June 2023

Campervan Makeover.... Part 3

I had an exciting delivery today.  I've been avidly following it's progress all the way from Santa Cruz, via Los Gatos, San Jose, Carson and Los Angeles International Airport... thence to Heathrow,  Coventry (?!) to its delivery today. 

You never quite know exactly what you're going to get when you order something online but it was an understatement to say I was delighted with my purchase.  

I'm aiming for an exotic, boho vibe in the campervan and had been looking for a suitable fabric for curtains, cushions and, most importantly, bunting for weeks.  I had a particular yen for a small paisley print fabric, but couldn't find anything which ticked all my boxes.  It had to be 100% cotton, a small print and available in several different colours.

Paisley is an ornamental design which consists of curved teardrop shapes.  The form is of Persian origin but the textile design, cramming many of them into a rich pattern is Indian.  The English name for the patterns derives from the town of Paisley in the west of Scotland, a centre  for textiles where paisley designs were produced.   So also a nod to the land of my birth.

When I finally found this fabric on Etsy I couldn't believe my luck, especially as it was available in 16 colours, neatly fulfilling my brief.

Naturally I couldn't wait to get started and immediately abandoned what I was doing (clearing the dining room actually) and set about preparing to create completely unique bunting.

Scene: Sandra's craft room. She is surrounded by a cornucopia of colourful fabrics, and sits, head bowed, sewing some tiny silver bells onto the first bunting flag.  As she quietly curses, as small furry presence materialises on her lap.

Me:*sighing* Oh hello SD.  Am I pleased to see YOU!

SD:*nodding* Yess.  Ai eckspeckt yue ar.  Whott AR yue doen?

Me:*faintly* What does it look like?  I'm making bunting of course.

SD:*questioningly*  Bye hand?

Me:*teeth gritted* No. Not by hand.  I am using the sewing machine to stitch the fabric flags but these bells and tassels need to be hand sewn.

SD:*incredulously* Tassils?  Bells? 

Me:*combatatively* Yes.  HANDMADE tassels.

SD:*speechless* Yure MAKEN the TASSILS?  Ar yue kompleetlie madd?  Yue kan bye them on Eebai for a fue pens eetch.

Me:*deflatedly* Yes.  I know.  I don't know what I was thinking.  Except Ebay tassels are paltry things and the colours are all bold and brassy.  If I make them myself I can match then EXACTLY to the colours of the bunting flags.  They'll look much classier.

SD:*speculatively* Hmm.... and hows thatt goen?

Me:*verging on tears* It's not.  It took me nearly an hour to make the first tassel and that's not including sewing it on to the flag and adding the bells.  At this rate the bunting will be finished sometime in 2026. 

SD:*encouragingly* Butt itt dose luke fantastick.  Orl kompleetlie handmayd... veri impresiv.

Me:*falteringly* Thanks SD.  I will get quicker. Just need to get the hang of the tassels.  They're tricksy little buggers I can tell you.

SD:*reassuringly* Aim shure yue will.  Doant evin wurrie. Yule sune be maken tassils liek theres kno twomorow.   Butt ar the tinie silvur bels reeli nessessarie?

Me:*weakly* No.  Not in the slightest.  Just thought they added a quirky boho 'je ne sais quoi'

SD:*thoughtfully* Hmmm.  Aim shure yore rite.  Kwirkie and bohoe... deffinitlie the wai to go. Aill lett yue gett on then.

Me:*rallying* Thanks for the encouragement SD.  I'll crack on then.  

SD gradually fades away and after a few moments, Sandra blows her nose and resumes her labours. 

To be continued......





1 comment:

Daydreamer said...

Hi Sandra! Kisses to Small Dog for boosting the morale! I am looking forward to seeing these tasseled and jingling buntings! The fabric sounds lovely and the sound of silver bells too.... there must be a shortcut for making them..... youtube perhaps? I wish you fun and luck! :):)