Monday 5 June 2023

Craftroom Makeover.... Part 4 +

The title more accurately should have read Craftroom Makeover Part 4 in conjunction with La Mignonette Makeover Part 1 but that makes me sound more than ordinarily crazy so....

In line with recent trials and tribulations, this morning I decided to get on with painting the wall in the craft room, reasoning that it would probably only take an hour and be another thing usefully ticked off my burgeoning To Do lists.

So I got out all the decorating stuff.... dust sheets, paint trays, brushes, rollers, and the 10 year old tin of paint.  True to expectations, when I finally jemmied the lid off, the sludge inside was a shade of snot green.  No amount of mixing, sieving or swearing could convince it to return to its original lovely shade of blue so in the end I decided to cut my losses and head off to B&Q for another tin.  

After sitting in a broiling hot car for 45 minutes on a journey that should have taken only 10 due, to ongoing road works on my chosen route, I arrived at the hardware store, sweaty and disgruntled and set about finding the paint amongst eleventy aisles containing every paint known to man (or woman).  Naturally, after 10 years, they'd changed the appearance of the container, and added another half dozen finishes, of which matt was not one.  I wandered up and down each aisle several times, trailing a little basket on wheels, scanning shelf after shelf for my preferred colour and finish.  I finally found it right at the back of a bottom shelf, which necessitated my getting down on my hands and knees and crawling in to fish it out.  That was the easier part.  Getting back out and upright again was more of a challenge.  After a bit of huffing and puffing I managed to reverse out, covered in cobwebs and dust.  I knelt on all fours for a minute or two to catch my breath and get my bearings, then set about working out how to get up. If I'd had a proper shipping trolley I might have been OK, but the flimsy little basket on wheels just didn't cut it.  I briefly contemplated hauling myself up on the shelving but the thought of pulling it over onto myself along with several hundred heavy paint containers, causing certain instant death, didn't much appeal.  

I knelt there for a little while trying to work out a strategy, all the while hoping that some kind person would come along to whom I could appeal for help.  Strangely, although some people did start down the aisle, when they saw a little old lady on her hands and knees on the floor, perspiring profusely and uttering entirely unladylike words, they thought better of it and turned tail.  Eventually, by building several different height towers of paint cans and using them to aid pushing myself up from the floor, I was able to get perpendicular, where a sudden bout of dizziness forced me to sit down on the closest pile of paint cans for a few minutes to regain my composure.  All in all, an extremely undignified and unpleasant episode which I don't care to repeat any time soon.

By the time I got back home, by a different, quicket route, PP was getting ready to deploy a search party but I was in no mood for discussion on the whys and wherefores of my extended absence.  Several hours later, the wall is painted, but it's looking a bit patchy so I'll let it dry overnight and re-assess things tomorrow.  

I also had a bit of a brainwave to make the adding of an additional storey onto La Mignonette a 'two birds with one stone' thingamajig'.

Because I'd had paint left over from painting the room back when I was building La Mignonette, and because I loved the colour so much, I used it to paint the exterior.  The new top floor has to match so I had a sudden flash of inspiration and decided to roller paint the exterior walls in their unassembled kit form state. 

Brilliant or what?

So, tomorrow I can give them a second coat and won't need to paint them when the top floor is assembled. 

All in all, not the best of days but small progress has been made so I'll take that as a win.


No comments: