Wednesday 31 August 2011

Creative cul-de-sac......

Every now and then, usually when I have loads of stuff to do, I get stuck in a creative cul-de-sac.  

Apparently this is a phenomenon well-known to all creative/arty types, which can manifest itself in a variety of ways, from paralyising stage fright in actors, to the terror of the blank page in writer's block.

I'm no stranger to this most distressing of states as it's happened a few times before, most notably when I had to take almost a year off when 'feeling a bit down' metamorphosed into a full-blown depression, during which just getting out of bed in the morning was the pinnacle of my creative endeavour.

The memory of that black hole year, with all its related fears and anxieties looms large whenever I feel a marked dip in my spirits, or lose my creative muse for any longer than a few days.  It can, of course, become a self-fulfilling prophecy, and a spiralling vicious circle of frustration, disappointment and angst.

However, I utilise a variety of strategies for tackling it at the 'malaise' stage, ranging from displacement activity to keeping busy with technical tasks rather than struggling to achieve original thought.  Therefore today I will be mostly doing casting... a relatively mindless task, but one which produces a satisfying end result and a feeling of a job well done. 

Now, if the sun could just deign to show its face from behind a curtain of resolutely grey clouds that would also be an immeasurable help.  Failing which, I'm seriously considering switching on my S.A.D lamp, which usually isn't brought into play until mid October rather than the end of August.


Sheesh!

In other, but not entirely unrelated news, I want this download.....


1 comment:

Sans! said...

I have tons of scissors and none I particularly like except the one Dad bought for me. Expensive by my standard so I hardly use it.

I will see if I can find yours.