Saturday 26 May 2012

By Jingo....

Had to go to the summer hell that is Tesco earlier today......

The entire store is a sea of red, white and blue, with the Union Jack featuring prominently.  You're hard pressed to find any item not emblazoned with our national flag.

Now, don't get me wrong.

I'm as patriotic as the next woman, especially if she's a Scot living in England, but the current Jubilee enthusiasm is ramping up to  complete overkill.  There were entire aisles of the store filled to overflowing with flags to put on your car, flags to hold and wave, flags masquerading as bunting to decorate your street party gazebo, flags decorating cups, plates, glasses, napkins..... the list is endless.

If you're not flagged out you can buy Union Jack decorated cakes, all your party food,  supplies decorated with flags, and Union Jack beer.  For the sartorially minded there are T-shirts with Union Jacks, ditto belts, jewellery, hats, scarves, knickers, socks ......

I suppose I should declare my interest at this point, as we're going on a Caravan Club Jubilee Rally next weekend and everyone is expected to decorate their caravan/motorhome.  We already have some shabby chic bunting in red/white/blue, but not of the Union Jack variety, (although I did succumb to some napkins) and I hold up my hands to having ordered a doggy bandana for Small Dog which, yes, you've guessed it, features The Flag.

However, I'm intending to buck the trend ever so slightly and take one of these....


 Whether or not I get 'woaded up' remains to be seen....

6 comments:

Irene said...

I saw this post and just HAD to read it first for obvious reasons!

I have to say the party trappings are not so in your face up here but perhaps I've not been going to the right shops.

Enjoy your Jubilee Jamboree and good for you flying THE flag!

Sandra Morris said...

Irene...

Strange.... can't quite understand why the Scots aren't going overboard for the Jubilee ;-)

In my experience we're all usually up for any excuse for a party!

Down south we currently have entire 'pop-up shops' devoted entirely to Jubilee paraphernalia.

It'll probably all end in tears...

Sx

Robin said...

It's the same here....even the local POSH FROCK shop has nothing in it but red, white and blue!
Methinks there are going to be an awful of red white and blue bargains in a week or two.....Hey Ho! Enjoy your jamboree.
Rx

rosanna said...

That's something I was wondering about: how Scots might feel about all this Jubilee festival ?

Sandra Morris said...

Robin...

How lucky are you to have a posh frock shop?!

Down here the most we can hope for are charity shops, which, incidentally, are also awash with red white and blue.

Sx

Sandra Morris said...

Rosanna...

Good question.

TECHNICALLY Scots are part of the Union, but mostly under duress.

However, every Scot on the planet is always totally up for a party, whatever the pretext, so I expect that Scots will be celebrating, although perhaps on a lower key.

Sx