Friday 14 February 2014

Hacked off......

I am so hacked off I could spit.

A whole morning wasted because of THIS!

So at this very minute, somewhere in the ether, my personal details are in the public domain for any thieving little scroat to see.

Since the end of January, ALL of my Tesco Clubcard vouchers have been used in various stores in north Kent.... Chatham, Strood, Maidstone by some felonious bastard(s).  I only found out about this following an email from Tesco Clubcard this morning informing me that my account had been compromised.  After following all the instructions and changing my password, I discovered that the email address in my account had been changed and on checking my vouchers balance found it empty.

Cue phone call to Tesco Clubcard, who if the noise levels in the background were anything to go by, had lots of other concerned account holders on their lines.  My vouchers will be reinstated but that's hardly the point.

On Tesco's insistence I then called Action Fraud who collect information for the police and spoke to a very nice chap who just happened to hail from Strood (see above) but I couldn't hold that against him.  I handed over all the information I had, the fraudulent email address on my account, location of stores where the frauds took place etc.  He even gave me a crime number, although what use I can make of it is debatable.

Subsequently I've had to change EVERY online password I have, (which is a LOT!) even those different to the one which was hacked, just in case they've got more than one.

This isn't the first time I've been virtually violated.... in the past my credit card has been hacked (apparently it was flagged up due to the purchase of two first class air tickets to Paris and some very expensive computer equipment, none of which were due to me.  Sadly) and on several other occasions, despite no purchases having been made, other cards were deemed to have been 'compromised' and had to be cancelled and new ones issued.

Fortunately I've never had any financial losses as I have never been at fault.  I've never had a card lost or stolen.... all of these have been online frauds.
It seems to be par for the course these days, but it's no less annoying and frustrating for that.






7 comments:

Debbie said...

Holy Crap! I hope its all sorted now. Bloody thieving Herbert's. Want their hands chopping off. Causes so much aggravation and inconvenience.

Unknown said...

Hi Sandra - sorry you have had a bad day! I found you online and am sending you this message in the hope you can help me! I live in Helston in Cornwall and on the 8th of May every year we celebrate Flora Day. Its an ancient tradition which centres around a series of dances around the town accompanied by the Helston Town Band. Some friends of mine are attempting to create a knitted exhibition of Flora Day - there are about 30 people knitting miniature dolls to represent all the dancers. We are hoping to find miniature instruments for the knitted Town Band to hold but cant find any!! Can you help move us in the right direction to source miniature trombone, bass drum, cornet, etc??? yours hopefully Sophie

Neen said...

Sandra, You have suffered financial loss because of this identity theft. You spent hours reporting, then more hours fixing, the theft. Your time is valuable, those were hours taken from your business.

You didn't cause this, it seems Tedesco did by not having a secure enough system. It was appropriate of them to restore your vouchers, but I am surprised they didn't offer you more. I guess they are sure none of their harmed customers will leave them. Also, think of the wear and tear on Small Dog, it cannot have been easy for her to watch one of her mothers so upset. Tedesco should be careful, SD will either sue them or bite them, she's thinking....

Sandra Morris said...

Thanks Debbie.....
Sadly it's a sign of the times but no less annoying for that.
Sx

Sandra Morris said...

Sophie....
If you could email me at sandra(at)towerhousedolls.co.uk I'll point you in the right direction for your miniature instruments.

Sandra Morris said...

Neen.....
Yes I think you're right. I might pop along to Tesco's FB page and give them a piece of my mind.
SD is always up for a bit of terriorisation, although she's currently flat out in her basket so perhaps not right now.
Sx

Karin F. said...

I received a new bank card from my bank a few yrs ago. I'd had my prior one for yrs with no problems but within a short time not only was my acct cleared out but also all my overdraft. It was the bank that informed me and when I went there for the paperwork I had to get in line with all the other people. I too got my money back and then I closed my acct. Here if you go on vacation etc it is customary to let the bank know because otherwise use your card (debit or credit) and your acct is locked....in case.
Glad it's all been sorted....but a pain nevertheless hugs