Monday 20 April 2009

Oh what a tangled web(site)......

Back at work today after a weekend of 50th birthday celebrations for one of our camping friends. I think I'm suffering a hedonism overload.

So after the exacting mental rigours of doing the annual accounts last week I am easing myself back into work today by starting to reorganise the Diminutive Dolls website and doing some long overdue maintenance.

The 'back end' of the site, where all the administration takes place and the various item categories, shopping cart and clever stuff reside has become unbelievably cluttered and needs a good clear out. This is always rather nerve-wracking as I'm terrified lest I inadvertently delete the whole internet by mistake.

However I've been in there today with a virtual broom and given it a thorough spring clean so now at least I can see the structure more clearly. Now I need to go about renaming categories and redistributing various items, adding new ones and deleting others.

It's quite slow and painstaking work as each tiny change must be double-checked...it's akin to making fine adjustments to a large picture frame on a wall, then having to walking back to view it from a distance to check it's straight.

Each adjustment in the back end of the site must be checked at the front end, on the live site to see it's working ok, looks as it should and hasn't impacted on the functionality. I've made the mistake in the past of spending hours making changes, only to find that nothing works properly and then having the devil's own job trying to track down the offending item(s)...it's like trying to find a needle in a haystack. So now I always, check, check and CHECK again.

However it's not a particularly fascinating task, and I keep getting sidetracked then ambushed by the displacement goblins.

Not to mention counting down the hours till my birthday on Thursday, when I'm being whisked off for a few days of bucolic camping with PP and Small Dog. So it's shaping up to be another short working week.

Woohoo!

2 comments:

Mags Cassidy said...

Hope you have a sooper-dooper-wooper birthday, don't drink too much of the bottled stuff or you may return and indeed delete the whole of the internet!!

Anonymous said...

Oooh, happy birthday Sandra - hopefully lovely weekend for camping..