Monday 11 October 2010

One step forward, ten steps back...........

Mixed day today.

Got loads of practical stuff done - kits for the DHM Reader Offer next month, some new kits for the forthcoming fairs, orders packaged and ready to go.

But my warm glow of success was mitigated by trying to get to grips with some new computer software and the realisation that my learning curve is likely to be vertical.

I've known for some time now that the program I'm using for The Book is far from ideal.  Every professional I've spoken to, from authors, publishers and printers has advised me against it for any number of reasons.  But I'm very familiar with it and therefore it's not at all scary.

Unlike the new program, which is the industry standard and therefore practically perfect in every way.  But I feel as if I've landed on the moon when I open it.

Nothing looks even remotely familiar.

Nothing works in the same way I'm used to.

The help files seem to assume a level of competence several hundred times greater than I actually have.

I'm sure I'll get to grips with it in time, but time is in short supply so I'm torn between struggling on with 'Old Faithful' and ending up with a compromise.  Or struggling on with the New Kid on the Block and driving myself demented.


No comments: