Friday 1 June 2012

Jubilee Jamboree....

Despite the fact I'm more of a Republican than a Monarchist, I will be celebrating the Queen's Diamond Jubilee this weekend, in style.

As a Scot, it's more of "any excuse for a party", but I have to admit, there is something about the sight of all the flags (and not JUST Union Jacks!) and bunting, sprouting on houses, shops and pubs all across the land, which brings a lump to my throat.

I have packed my Saltire, which will take pride of place on our caravan awning, to authenticate my credentials as a boney fido member of the Union (for the moment at least). Small Dog has packed her Jubilee bandana, and we have a modicum of bunting to decorate our pitch.

We also seem to have packed enough food and drink for a month, so let's hope our fridge is up to the task.... for the first time since we got it, we'll be reliant on our caravan battery rather than electric hookup to power everything that doesn't run on gas, which will be a steep learning curve!

Hope all my UK readers have a lovely, celebratory weekend, regardless of your affiliations.  It's not often the whole nation gets the opportunity to come together as one so surely we should all make the most of it.

3 comments:

rosanna said...

I must admit that , although I am a STRONG republican( Genoa has always been a Republican since its birth),
there is something in this Jubilee which appeals me.
have the strongest admiration for the Queen, Her dignity and behaviour through Her whole life.
I wish that our governors had 1/10 of it.
Enjoy your party , show off your St Andrew's cross and have fun.Rosanna

The Dangerous Mezzo said...

I actually bought bunting while I was in England last month, and the front of my house is decked out in it! I suspect I may be one of the very few people in Canada with a bunting'd home :) I'm proud to celebrate the Jubilee, and would love to see the scene in the UK this weekend, with all the parties going on. Have a good time!

PastMastery said...

Have a wonderful time.
Sx