Facebook friends will already be aware of the extreme excitment earlier today when my new curtain fabric was delivered.
It really doesn't take much to make me deliriously happy.
I bravely managed to resist the temptation to sweep everything off my desk and make a start on them right away, but it was a close run thing.
However, late this afternoon I finally gave in to the temptation to spread the fabric out on the sitting room floor and cut it to length. My extremely careful measuring before ordering was put to the test as I checked, double checked, triple checked and quadruple checked my measurements, first against the window and then on the fabric and I was relieved to find that I was spot on, with not even an inch of wastage.
Speaking of spot on...........
Serendipity seems to be the order of the day as I painted a sample swatch on the wall by the window and the colour I've chosen is absolutely exactly the same colour as the blue in my fabric.
How good is that?!
It looked a wee bit dark to start with but it has dried to a beautiful pale blue which is just what I was looking for.
So, full steam ahead.
I've started emptying stuff out of the workroom, which will take some time. I've taken down shelves and the horrid, faded, grungy curtains, and I've revealed no end of dust, dirt and cobwebs on top of the high cupboards. I dread to think what I'll discover down behind the base unit cupboards when they're moved out in few week's time..... they've been in situ for almost 10 years with no way of getting under or behind them.
In amongst all of this I need to keep working so only stuff I don't need on a daily basis is being relocated at the moment. I have to try to keep the period of maximum disruption to a minimum but with the best will in the world the workroom will be completely out of commission for at least a week.
According to my 'back of an envelope, off the top of my head, ball park' calculations....
Dismantling and removing ALL of the cupboards, shelving units and built-in desk unit = 1 day (not allowing for skelfs, accidents, inevitable problems, exhaustion and general fed uppedness)
Thoroughly cleaning walls, woodwork etc = 1 day (seems like a lot of time but I'll be knackered after Day 1)
Redecorating = 2 days. I'm unlikely to get away with just one coat of paint no matter how careful I am.
Recarpetting = 1 day. Actually this will only take about 2 hours but I'll have to allow a day as they rarely deliver and fit at the scheduled time.
Moving furniture back in = 1 day
And on the 7th day we rest.
Off course a myriad unexpected, unforeseen, accidental, unpredicted things could derail my schedule, but I have to have one, whether it actually works or not.
However, there is one thing I can confidently predit WILL happen that week..... every night will most definitely be a wine night!