Friday 5 September 2008

Cutting edge journalism...........

Couldn't resist sharing this little gem.

And me an arachnophobe too!

An interesting side note here. As I was researching spider fear (yes.....I do actually research stuff for this blog!) I came across this.......

COPING STYLES OF ARACHNOPHOBICS


Professor Martin Antony of the University of Toronto Psychiatry Department classifies arachnophobics in two categories: "monitors" and "blunters". When a "monitor" enters a room, he searches the entire room for a spider. When he finds one, he not only makes sure he knows where it is but he continues to follow or monitor it. A "blunter" does the exact opposite: he does everything in his power to keep from seeing a spider in a room. He will distract himself, even talking to himself to avoid seeing the spider.
Now.

I am most definitely a 'monitor' I don't go as far as searching every room I enter for spiders, but if I do catch sight of one, I like to know its whereabouts thereafter. This links with another of my phobias, which is having a spider go up my trouser leg. I have been known to tuck my trouser legs INSIDE my socks to avoid such an eventuality, when a previously monitored spider goes AWOL.

I toyed with the idea of putting a spider photo in this post, but having just browsed Google Images for suitable candidates, I'm now in such a state that I'm going to have to have a cup of tea and a Kit Kat to calm me down. *shudder*

Also, just a thought, but going back to the original news story, how exactly do you put a spider down??

No comments: