Saturday 28 June 2008

Research V Displacement Activity............

One of the joys of doing what I do, is being able to spend ages surfing the internet, engaged in 'research'.

In my case, this 'research' takes mainly two forms.

  • Pure research into specific areas. For example, I am working on adding to our range of marotte toys, so I've been researching their history, the materials used to make them, different styles and varieties etc.
  • Browsing research.
Browsing research is frequently startling and exciting. I often feel rather like an archaeologist, digging for hidden treasure. For example, recently I was browsing down various virtual scenic highways and byways regarding Victorian childhood, when I came across this little gem, entitled 'Reading Without Tears' which is a hilarious take on a serious subject......learning to read.

I learned to read via the not very interesting antics of Dick, Dora and Nip the dog, who disappointingly never lived up to his name, no matter what inane comment was uttered by his owners.

See Nip run.
Run Nip run.
Nip can run.

Riveting stuff I'm sure you'll agree. I seem to remember there was also a cat, called Fluff, whose adventures must have been even more boring than Nip's, as I can recall nothing else other than its name.

I would have much preferred to learn with 'Reading Without Tears', which is a truly seminal work, broad in scope and positively brimming with philosophical thought and allegory. Victorian children must have been absolutely glued to the page, desperate to decipher the next thrilling instalment.

Pure genius.

No comments: