Thursday 3 March 2011

Small Dog as sleep therapist......

It has been well documented on this blog that Small Dog is an excellent napper.

In fact I would go so far as to say that her sleeping skills are legendary.  However she is no respecter of other people's need for an unbroken night's sleep.  Which is why, after her regular nocturnal wanderings around the house, checking the perimeter for incursions, real or imagined, she also has to check to see if anyone is awake.

This entails her taking a run from the landing in order to reach maximum velocity for liftoff, and landing on the bed with a thump. She then marches boldly up the bed, trampling nonchalantly over recumbent body parts before standing full square on my chest, staring thoughtfully at me until I either wake up or turn over.  If I am foolish enough to acknowledge her presence by opening one eye or mumbling 'gerroff' she will take it as an invitation to go into a frenzy of tail-wagging and face-licking, cunningly designed to complete the waking process.  

Only when I am fully awake, will she snuggle down and instantly fall into a deep, contented sleep.

*sigh*

Which is why I'm contemplating an afternoon nap to catch up on lost sleep......

1 comment:

Elga said...

My cat does the same and also demands his early, like 3am snack, seems he just can't find his bowl by himself that are filled when we go to bed since night time seems to be his favourite time to eat.