Friday, 13 August 2010
I have spent most of the past few days working on a 'prop' to feature in The Book. I had an idea of which colours I wanted, and duly visited a local DIY store to select some paint sample pots in a few muted period colours.
I'm never very confident with colour. I once redecorated a doll's house room FOUR TIMES in the space of a week because I couldn't achieve the ambience I was looking for. I know the old adage about certain colour combinations jarring......'red and green should never be seen', or pink and orange. However, even shades, which according to the colour wheel SHOULD complement each other, sometimes don't.
Or maybe that's just me.
I am particularly averse to pink and orange, a neurosis which I suspect goes back to my childhood in the early 60's, when on a Saturday afternoon, after a dinner of Heinz Cream of Tomato Soup, followed by strawberry Angel Delight, I used to take up my position on the sofa, surrounded by a barricade of cushions, to watch Doctor Who. To this day I can't see orange and pink together without getting Cyberman flashbacks.
The colour palette I chose for my prop was a pastel combination of dusky pink, pale blue and a soft green, which all looked very pleasing. However, having painted various components, on assembling them it just looked all wrong.
So I have spent all morning painstakingly changing the colours of several components, made extra frustrating by having to paint fine lines on already assembled mouldings etc.
I've left it to dry for a while and am hoping that when I revisit it shortly, it will look much better.
If it doesn't then it's back to the drawing board.......