Tuesday 6 May 2008

Dizzy brunette............

There aren't many upsides to having MS. Except you get to experience for free a whole range of sensory anomalies that most 'normal' folks have to pay for.

For example, I know that there are many misguided souls who pay through the nose to go on white knuckle fairground rides, whereupon they are gyrated, oscillated, rotated and generally turned upside down, and, if they're very unlucky and have just had lunch, inside out *yuck*.

I, on the other hand, have all those sensations, (except perhaps for the vomiting) with none of the expense.

Result.

Or it would be if I enjoyed being subjected to feeling as if I'm on the riding 40 foot waves on the high seas in a very small dinghy.

So, I occasionally visit my local hospital, where I have a fun-filled session at the neuro balance clinic, with a very personable physiotherapist, who I affectionately refer to as 'the dizzy nurse'.

I had a session today, and the idea is that I have to be made to feel dizzy, in order to become habituated to the sensation. It's a bit like a more benign form of aversion therapy, which in my case would involve having large, hairy spiders crawling over me *shudder*.

So if I'm not feeling dizzy when I go in, I'm definitely dizzy when I come out, but with the knowledge that I'm doing my bit for balance and equilibrium.

Anyway, just so you know, I won't be doing THIS any time soon............

No comments: